13 August 2010

Top 10

Per my mother's suggestion, here are 10 ridiculous things (not necessarily the top 10 ridiculous things) that kids I know have said:

1. I've always loved the beach and everything that comes with it. Shells, sand, rocks, fish, etc. My favorite book as a kid was "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." My parents said I knew it from memory. My favorite part of the zoo (besides the penguins) is the underwater stuff. I love all the different colors of the fish and I love watching them swim around. My parents used to take me all the time when I was little. We lived in Chicago and I had a little Chicago accent, so my parents always love to tell this story:
Apparently, there was one particular tank that had a HUGE fish in it. I would climb up on the ledge, press my face up against the glass and wait for that big fish to swim by. As it did, my eyes would get really big and I'd slowly come away from the glass and turn to my parents and say, "Look! It's the beeg one feesh!"

2. When my cousin, Mark, was little, he saw the hair on my uncle's arm and asked, "Are you part lion?"

3. Alec was working on a vocab assignment one time and asked my mom, "Does this sentence make any sense? 'You can't listen to a song that's happy and feel melancholy about it.'" Only he pronounced "melancholy" with a long "a" and the "ch" like the "ch" in "church." My mom looked at me like, "Do you have any idea what he's talking about?" Of course, I had no clue, but my mom figured it out. She said, "Oh, do you mean 'melancholy?'" To which Alec just laughed and said, "Wow. I really messed up that pronounciation." No, I didn't spell that wrong. That's how he said it--with an "ow" sound. My mom said, "Well, actually, it's pronunciation." Alec just goes, "Whatever."

4. My sister, Rachel, used to have a lisp when she was younger, so we took her to a speech teacher who helped her with it. One time when she went, the teacher held up a picture of a boy who had spilled something and asked Rachel to describe what was going on in the picture. She said, "He made a mess." With a lisp, of course. The next picture was a boy crossing a finish line. The teacher asked, "Did this boy win the race?" Rachel's answer, again with a lisp: "No, Robbie won the race."

5. This past weekend at our family reunion, all us cousins decided to play "Mafia." For those who don't know, it's a card game where you are either a civilian, a doctor, a detective, or a member of the mafia. The card you draw determines who you are. You then try and figure out who the mafia is. Unless, of course, you are the mafia. In which case, you try to kill everyone. After one of the rounds we played, my 9 year-old cousin, Courtney, asked, "What were you?" I told her I was a civilian and she said, "Me too. It's so boring! You don't get to kill anyone!"
Yikes. Somebody keep an eye on that child.

6. My mom told me about her youngest brother who couldn't whistle, so instead he'd say in a high-pitched voice, "tweet twoo!"
I can't whistle, so maybe I should try this approach.

7. Several years ago, our ward Primary made a marriage video. They sat down and asked a bunch of the younger kids different questions about marriage. One of the questions they asked was, "Who are you going to marry?" One of my sister's best friends, Lee, said, "I'm going to marry Rachel." When they asked Rachel, she said, "Reagan (another of Rachel's best friends). I'm not going to marry Lee because he's a boy. He's going to have to marry somebody else."
That's got to be a major let-down. A woman leaves you for another woman? Tough break, Lee. Sorry, buddy.

8. My cousin, Megan, is 2 years old and she already believes that she is in charge of everything. Robbie and I went to visit their family over Memorial Day weekend. At church, she sat down, but wouldn't let anyone sit by her. We tried anyway just to antagonize her. Robbie and I both took a turn and as soon as we'd sit down, she'd look at us and in this low, growly voice that was almost like a yelling whisper would say, "NOOOOO!" Their family calls it her princess voice. Well, Robbie took her bracelet, but she didn't notice until the middle of the prayer, so it's quiet and all of a sudden you hear her say, in her princess voice, "MINE!" It was hilarious.

9. I read this off of a friend's blog. Her son said this to their cat, Truly: "Truly you breaked the rules. You actually shouldn't bite me. Go to the corner."

10. Going back to the family that I visited for Memorial Day...One time when they were reading scriptures, they were reading out of Jacob 6. They came to verse 12 which reads, "O be wise; what can I say more?" My cousin, who was only listening because he couldn't read, asked, "Is he Obi-Wan's cousin?"

Well, I hope you got a few laughs from that. I sure did.

It's been awhile since I've done a Picture of the Day, so here it is:

This is Mormon Prom in 2006. Left to right is Lindsay (a non-member friend of mine from my cross country and track team), Emberli, Sarah, and Your's Truly. I know what you're thinking. "Caroline is actually smiling at a dance!" In case you didn't know, I'm not a dancer. There were 2 reasons I went to this dance. 1. Sarah asked me. How could I stand her up? 2. Lindsay had asked me some questions about our church, so I decided to fellowship her. We had a fun time eating from the chocolate fountain and just being, well, us...which is always a fun time. Really. No dance, of course, is complete without a Steak n Shake run afterwards, so we made sure that happened. And to top that off, Sarah and her "butt cape" danced around in the parking lot after dinner. It was fantastic.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Yep. Laughing!

TotallyContent said...

My favorite is Reagan's version of "I Am a Child of God"

Instead of:

I am a child of God
And he has sent me here
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear

She used to sing "With parents kind of weird" She thought that's how it went. Tooo funny!!