When Sarah and I were both in high school, we used to go to all of the basketball games. The most memorable year for me was when I was a sophomore and Sarah was a junior. Our team was awesome. Sarah, do you remember that? We had #5 Cam Smith--Mr. Noblesville and everyone's favorite kid; #10 Nick Rogers--the 3-point man, everytime he made a 3-pointer, we used to cheer "1-2-3-BALLIN'!"; #20 Alex Robinson--I've heard some people refer to him as "The Cutie With a Booty," everytime he scored, we would sing a spoof of the Beatles' "Mrs. Robinson" called, "Alex Robinson;" #23 Doug Snyder--the school's hunk, everyone thought he was super attractive...including Sarah (haha), he played some basketball pretty well too; and #30 Ray Burks--the school's own little Michael Jordan, he used to dunk that basketball like it was nobody's business. Sarah and I were loyal fans. We used to not only go to the home games, but we would travel across enemy lines to faithfully support our basketball team. Many times we went hoarse or even lost our voices completely. Other times, we would drive home complaining about the stupid referees or the stupid opponents or the stupid whatever. In our eyes, our basketball team was perfect. Our basketball team used to have snaps on the sides of their sweatpants that they used to wear basically unsnapped. I remember Sarah squealing as they ripped off their pants at the end of their warm-ups. Haha. I remember Sarah and me running onto the court after our team's second consecutive Hoosier Crossroads Conference victory. I remember us holding our breath as we watched Nick Rogers go for that 3rd quarter bucket shot that put us 1 point ahead. I remember Sarah going, "Shhh...AHHHH!" as the opposing team shot their free-throws. I remember it all and I miss it so much.
Last night, my dad and I went to the sectional basketball game against Hamilton Southeastern. It was fun...sorta. We lost. 56-47. Leland Brown scored the first 2 points of the game for us and then we trailed the rest of the game. It was ridiculous. My dad tried to keep me in good spirits though. He threw his drink away and then as he was walking back to his seat, he raised both his arms and made a number 1 sign with his fingers to celebrate making his shot in the trash can. A fan from the other team started laughing at him. It was hilarious. I love my dad.
I basically hate HSE's student section though. They thought it would be cool to give everyone in their student section a handful of baby powder, so right before the game was supposed to start they all threw it up in the air. Of course, since it's baby powder, it drifted everywhere. People were coughing and they had to send the custodians out to clean up the court. They even had to get a few faculty members and students to help out because it was such a mess. It was ridiculous. Grow up already. As my dad and I were walking out to the car, there was this girl getting a pretty intense goodbye kiss from her boyfriend and my dad said, "Get a room." Haha. It was hilarious. About a minute later, this HSE student was walking with his friend and he said, "Yeah, I thought it was pretty hilarious how we delayed the game for like a half hour." My dad then turned to me and said, "Yeah, great idea. Maybe next time, you guys should vomit all over the court." Haha. I love my dad. It was a disappointing game, but it was a lot of fun to spend time with my dad.
This is a video of the NHS' signature cheer, "The Rollercoaster Cheer." My graduating class was the first class to do this last year. We won the Spirit Award. It was awesome. Sadly, I only went to 2 games last year because my basketball game buddy, Sarah, was away at college. It just wasn't the same to go to the games without her, so I didn't go. Anyway, this cheer usually lasts about 30 seconds, but I only got about half of it. It starts out with the student pretending to put the little harness thing over their chests and then they do this:
Sarah, can we get a time machine a please go back to a game? I'll let you pick.
Random Picture of the Day:

This is Brady (or The BLR), Sarah (my basketball game buddy), and Me at youth conference in 2006 when we went to Kirtland. That was an awesome youth conference. This was right before we watched the new Joseph Smith movie.
1 comment:
caroline, holy crap. i went to the last home game of the season tonight and thought about high school games ALL NIGHT LONG. i wish the byu boys would rip their pants off.... but there are so many cheers from high school that i wanted to do tonight, but alas, no one knows them. (ex: nuts and bolts! nut and bolts! we got SCREWED!) BUT I TOUCHED JIMMER AND J. TAV AND JACKSON EMERY. GAHHHH.
also, i am not going to rip on your student section, i promise. as much as i want to, i will resist. :]
hmm....let's go back to that...brownsburg game (i think) during my senior year when we won by ONE POINT. that was beautiful. or any games when we got to yell things at carmel or hse (that were sometimes obscene). with tremain announcing and the miller man head bopping around down in front. and when we got to hate on the dance team for being NO GOOD PIECE OF CRAP SKANK BAGS. and when nick rodgers' grandma would go BERSERK and stomp her heels on the wooden bleachers to make her point. or when we would eat like fifteen airheads in the first half of the game. and when i would drool over anything doug snyder did--including not make his baskets. and how i sometimes ALWAYS managed to not be able to get that moment on camera when they ripped their pants off. oh man. GOOD TIMES :]
Post a Comment