20 October 2009

Dear Keith Olbermann

Elder Dallin H. Oaks spoke at our devotional last Tuesday. I'm sure many of you already know this because it's all over the news. This is a video that my Book of Mormon teacher showed our class today. It's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann." Only about the first minute is relevant to my post today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/ns/msnbc_tv-countdown_with_keith_olbermann#33319827

Dear Keith Olbermann,

Thank you so much for your remarks on nation-wide television. It is clear that you are unaware of the purpose of Elder Oaks' talk. There was a recurring theme throughout his address. He prophesied of the criticsm that we, as Christians and also as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, would face. I want to thank you for fulfilling that prophecy. Here are just a few citations of this prophecy from his address:

"...I invite you to march with me as I speak about religious freedom under the United States Constitution. There is a battle over the meaning of that freedom. The contest is of eternal importance, and it is your generation that must understand the issues and make the efforts to prevail....

"...During my lifetime I have seen a significant deterioration in the respect accorded to religion in our public life, and I believe that the vitality of religious freedom is in danger of being weakened accordingly....

"...The greatest infringements of religious freedom occur when the exercise of religion collides with other powerful forces in society. Among the most threatening collisions in the United States today are (1) the rising strength of those who seek to silence religious voices in public debates, and (2) perceived conflicts between religious freedom and the popular appeal of newly alleged civil rights.

As I address this audience of young adults, I invite your careful attention to what I say on these subjects, because I am describing conditions you will face and challenges you must confront....

"...A writer for The Christian Science Monitor predicts that the coming century will be “very secular and religiously antagonistic,” with intolerance of Christianity “ris[ing] to levels many of us have not believed possible in our lifetimes.”...

"...The extent and nature of religious devotion in this nation is changing. The tide of public opinion in favor of religion is receding....

"... we must not be surprised when our positions are ridiculed and we are persecuted and reviled.

"...we must not be deterred or coerced into silence by the kinds of intimidation I have described."

I want to thank you, again, for fulfilling this prophecy and for helping me prepare for the other pathetic comments that will be directed to me on this subject.


Sincerely,

Disciple of Christ

I understand that there are people who read my blog who are not of my faith. To you, and to those of you who are of my faith, I want to take this opportunity to bear my testimony.

I know Christ lives. He is our Savior and Redeemer. He will come again in power and great glory. We are His brothers and sisters. He loves us. He wants us to have religious freedom. It is not enough just to have the courage to stand up for our beliefs and our rights. We must act. The Lord will bless us if we follow Him. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

3 comments:

ginger said...

this makes me sad

Valerie said...

I echo what GingerAliceBudd says!!

Keith Olberman has a special spot reserved in H - E - Double Hockey Sticks just for him! I had to turn off the video because it just made me MAD!

With strong people like you leading the fight, we just might have a chance!

Wees said...

If Keith Olbermann is against something that I'm for, that definitely means I'm on the right side!!

Well done, Caroline.