30 January 2013

Dear Sister Wright

One of my roommates went to the MTC (Missionary Training Center) today. She's headed to Tokyo. I always try to send a letter to my friends on the day that they enter the MTC, so that they had a letter waiting for them on their first night. So I wrote my roommate today. I'm not sure why I decided to post it on here. I just did. Maybe because my mission is so near and dear to my heart that it's hard for me to talk about sometimes without getting emotional. At least in a blog post, you can read about it instead of having to listen to me bawl through it. Haha.

Go "thrash the nations" Sister Wright!!




Dear Sister Wright,

WELCOME TO THE MTC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that it's already time for you to be there! I feel like you just opened your call yesterday, but I'm sure it felt a lot longer to you. I remember waiting.

I hope your first day (half day really) went well. I hope you enjoyed the activities they had planned for you today, especially the ice cream bar. :] I hope you like your companion and your district. My MTC companion and my district have become some of the best friends I have ever had. I hope it's the same experience for you. I seriously can't believe that I ever lived my life before without my mission friends. I know you will wonder the same thing. My wondering started with my MTC friends. Yours probably will too. :]

Sister Wright, words cannot even begin to describe how much I loved being a missionary. Yes, I'm still a missionary because every member is a missionary, but actually being set apart as a missionary is different. I miss it more than anything in the world. Yet, I wouldn't give anything to be in your shoes. My mission was such a sacred and personal experience. It was one that I really needed. I could never take that experience from you.

You're going to experience a lot of growing pains over the next 18 months. That's the burden of being a sister. The elders get a whole extra 6 months to learn what Heavenly Father tries to cram in us in 18 months. Haha. It won't always be fun. Growing pains can be painful, but when you come home at the end of your mission and look at yourself in the mirror, you'll be so pleased with and so proud of the person looking back at you. You'll be so grateful for every pain that you endured. I hope when you look in that mirror though, you recognize that person looking back at you. You have so many marvelous qualities, Sister Wright, that will greatly benefit you as a missionary. You are beautiful inside and out. You care deeply and genuinely about others. You have a burning desire and passion for sharing the gospel and blessing others. You are humble and obedient. You have tremendous faith. And you have a smile that is so contagious. :] Never change those things about you. They are the things that make you YOU. They are the things that people love about you. Give the Japanese people the chance to love those things about you too. Give room for the Lord to mold you and shape you as He sees fit, but never forget to be yourself. There are people in Japan waiting to hear the gospel from YOU. There are companions who need to serve with YOU. There are people you will meet on your mission who crossed your path because they needed to meet YOU.

I just want you to know that I love you and I miss you so much. I really couldn't have asked for a better roommate and friend this semester. You are truly a remarkable person. I have no doubt that we crossed paths because I needed to meet YOU. 

God be with you 'til we meet again!
Love,
Caroline

No comments: