I serve on the Marketing Committee on the SRC (Student Representative Council--like Student Government), so I attended the "Meet the SRC" meeting that was held on Tuesday. At this meeting, students can go and ask the members of the SRC any question they want. It's one of the ways students can find out what projects the SRC is going to be working on throughout the semester. One of the questions that was asked was about the Honor Code. A student was not bashing on the Honor Code, but simply wanted help understanding the Dress Code. More specifically, he wanted to know why shorts and flip-flops were not permitted on campus. The SRC Representative that answered his question made a great point. He said that actors get into costume for two reasons: 1. To look the part and 2. To get into character. He said that actors dress in the costumes because it helps them become enveloped in the character. It helps them develop the mannerisms and personality of the character they are portraying. Those two reasons are the same for us as students here. When we follow the Dress Code, we dress the part of a disciple of Christ. As we continue to follow this counsel, we eventually take on the mannerisms and personality of a disciple of Christ. It's not that you can't be a disciple of Christ when you're wearing shorts and flip-flops. It's more that it's a law that we are asked to abide by and by respecting and honoring that law and by wilfully obeying to the counsel given us by the leaders of this school, we can put on the character of a disciple of Christ. I thought about that and how that is so applicable to the gospel. When we clothe ourselves in the Armour of God and take upon us His name, we are not only dressed as sons and daughters of God, but we take on the mannerisms and personality of sons and daughters of God. Our goal in Student Living (the leadership council I'm involved in on campus) is to save souls. We do that by teaching students how to get into "character" as a disciple of Christ. I just really liked the point that guy made. It was such a good analogy. I know that as we are obedient in the small things, the big things become much easier to adhere to. We will be blessed for our efforts and we will feel God's love for us because He desires us to do right. He desires to bless us.
1 comment:
I like this a lot.
ps. I'm glad we're officially friends on Facebook now. :)
Post a Comment